20 questions directors of not-for-profit organizations should ask about board recruitment, development and assessment
Available in French under the title "20 Questions que les administrateurs des organismes sans but lucratif devraient poser sur le recrutement, la formation et l’évaluation des membres du conseil"
Table of contents :
Selection of Directors
- 1. What are the requirements for electing or appointing directors?
- 2. What should the size and composition of the board be?
- 3. Do the board and its committees have mandates or charters?
- 4. Has the board established position descriptions for board roles?
- 5. What skills and experience does the board need in its directors?
- 6. What personal qualities and behavioural skills does the board need in its directors?
- 7. What skills, experience and personal qualities should board and committee chairs have?
- 8. How are potential directors identified?
- 9. How should prospective directors be approached?
- 10. What references and background checks are appropriate?
Director Orientation and Development
- 11. How does the organization develop directors as effective board members?
- 12. What are the principal types of governance assessment?
- 13. How should board members be involved in governance assessments?
- 14. What techniques and support may be used when conducting an assessment?
- 15. What should be evaluated when the effectiveness of the board and its committees is assessed?
- 16. What should be evaluated when the effectiveness and contribution of individual directors and chairs is assessed?
- 17. How should assessment results be disclosed to members and other stakeholders?
- 18. How should a board act on the results of board and committee assessments?
- 19. How should under-performing directors or chairs be dealt with?
- 20. How often should governance assessments occur?
Chartered Accountants of Canada
NPO 20 Questions Series