- Executive director
20 questions directors should ask about CEO succession
Also available in French under title: 20 questions que les administrateurs devraient poser sur la relève du chef de la direction
Table of contents :
- What succession-related factors should be on our radar?
- Are we, as the board, responsible for overseeing the development of internal CEO succession candidates?
- What is our role in the development of internal CEO successors?
- How should we monitor the external talent pool?
- Do we understand and anticipate the limits to our CEO’s abilities?
- What is our role, as the board, in choosing the new CEO?
- What is the role of the CEO Search Committee?
- What does our “ideal” CEO look like?
- How do we determine the “readiness” of internal candidates?
- Do we need to look for candidates externally?
- Should we engage an executive search firm?
- How should we involve the CEO and management in the selection process?
- How do we minimize the risk of picking the wrong candidate?
- Who can help us reduce the risk inherent in CEO succession decisions?
- What should our CEO selection communications plan look like?
- How do we successfully integrate the new CEO into our organization?
- How do we track how well the new CEO is integrating?
- What is our role in coaching and developing the CEO?
- What should we do when faced with a sudden, unexpected CEO vacancy?
- How do we deal with CEO succession in family-controlled companies?
Chartered Accountants of Canada
20 Questions Series